Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:02 AM
The Abingdon Fire
Company (AFC) along with engine’s from the Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire
Company (JMVFC) and the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company were alerted for smoke
coming from a townhouse in the area of Salford Drive and Meredith Court, in
Abingdon. E814 responded with six volunteer firefighters at 6:02 am. At 6:04 am, JMVFC utility 899, who was
in the area, arrived in the 2800 block of Meredith Court with smoke showing from
the roof of a two story, interior townhouse.
During the initial size up, it was learned that occupants were still
inside the home, so additional units were requested, which included T831 and E211 from the Aberdeen
Fire Department. T831
responded within seconds, staffed with four volunteers. Firefighters entered the home where they
found an adult male on the second floor who had a preexisting injury, which
rendered him unable to leave under his own power. There was no smoke or fire on the second
floor. Firefighters assisted the
occupant out of the home to a safe location, where he was evaluated by AFC
Paramedics, but refused transport. The
fire was located in the attic, and working together, crews from the AFC &
JMVFC used hoses to extinguish the fire in about thirty minutes. Crews from the AFC & JMVFC ladder trucks
used ladders to climb onto the roof, where they cut holes with saws, exposing
any hidden fire and releasing smoke from the home. The fire was declared under control at 6:33
am by the incident commander, JMVFC Assistant Chief Freund. The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office
responded to the incident and determined the cause of the fire to be a
malfunctioning bathroom exhaust fan. The
Fire Marshal’s Office estimated the damage to be $50,000. The Red Cross was on scene assisting the
single displaced occupant. No injuries
were reported. No damage was reported to
any other home. The JMVFC cleared the
scene at 7:53 am. Twelve pieces of fire
apparatus with approximately 35 volunteer firefighters and paramedics operated
on this incident; five pieces and thirteen volunteers were from the JVMFC.
Thursday, November 28, 2013 2:47 AM
Air Unit 861 responded to the unit block of Avonmore Court in Perry Hall, Baltimore County. Firefighters from the White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company had fire showing from a single family dwelling. Air Unit 861 is the closest air unit to parts of eastern Baltimore County. Air Unit 861 is responsible for refilling the firefighters' SCBA bottles (air tanks).
Wednesday, November 27, 2013 6:11 PM
The JMVFC was alerted for an engine to assist the Abingdon Fire Company at a house fire in the 600 block of Lacewood Drive, Edgewood. Engine 812 from house 3 responded with 6 volunteers. When firefighters arrived, they encountered a kitchen fire in a split level, single family dwelling. The fire was quickly knocked. Engine 812 operated for about an hour.
Sunday, November 24, 2013
At 1630 JMVFC was dispatched for Engine and Truck as part of the 404 box for a chimney fire at 817 Edgewood Road. DES personnel were on scene reporting a working fire. T831 was first arriving suppression unit and went to work laddering the dwelling and preparing the chimney kit. As units arrived crews confirmed that the fire was contained to the chimney and there was no extension to the house. Crews worked for just over 30 minutes to extinguish the fire. Chief 4-1 held the commandUnits: T831 w/6 and E815 w/6
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Just after 9am company 8 was alerted for an engine and truck as part of the 403 box for a reported townhouse fire. As units started calling en-route dispatch advised that the caller could not verify if the smoke was coming from her house or the neighbors. Rescue Lt. 4 was first to arrive and after doing a walkaround he found fire on the "Charlie" side of 418 Kentmore Terrace. T831 arrived laddered the building and assisted with opening up in the area of the fire. E812 arrived secured a water supply and ran the "400" to the rear to assist with extinguishing the fire and extension. The assignment was scaled back shortly after. Chief 4-1 held the command Units: E812 w/5 and T831 w/5
Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:44 AM
The JVMFC was alerted for a motor vehicle collision, with one vehicle that had rolled over, on Magnolia Road (SRT-152) and Windy Branch Way. Firefighters and Paramedics arrived to find a vehicle on its roof, and the only occupant, driver, already outside. The adult female driver was taken to the Johns Hopkins Bayview Trauma Center by JMVFC Paramedic unit in serious, but stable condition.
Saturday, November 23, 2013 1:03 AM
The JMVFC was alerted for a motor vehicle collision on SRT-24 near Edgewood Road. Upon arrival, it was determined that a single vehicle had struck a pedestrian. Paramedics arrived and pronounced the adult male dead at 1:08 AM. The driver of the vehicle, an adult female, was taken to the Upper Chesapeake Medical Center with minor injuries. SRT-24 was closed between Edgewood Road and Trimble Road for three hours as the Maryland State Police crash team investigated the collision.
Friday, November 22, 2013 6:00 PM
The JMVFC was dispatched to a motor vehicle collision, with reported entrapment, on Mountain Road (SRT-152) and Old Mountain Road North (North end). Chief 8 arrived and reported a five car collision, with one person trapped and five injured patients. A total of five paramedic units were dispatched; 2 from the JMVFC, 1 from the Kingsville VFC and 2 from the Abingdon Fire Company. Truck 831 arrived and used the jaws of life to extricate the adult male. Medics 891 & 892 transported patients to Bayview Trauma Center in serious condition. Medic 485 transported a patient to the Hopkins Pediatric Trauma Center in serious condition. Medics 491 & 492 treated patients on the scene, but did not transport.
Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:30 AM
Due to our active twitter account (@jmvfc8), we have become friends with so many people in the twitterverse. One of our faithful followers is Rob Base, from 92Q. Rob asked if he could come check out the front lines of fire and emergency medical responses. Naturally, we invited him without hesitation. Although Rob was kind enough to bring donuts, we had other plans. After giving him a tour of Fort Hanson, we hopped on the truck and went to the grocery store, where we bought breakfast to cook in our kitchen. We did have one call while he was here, an automatic fire alarm. Hopefully he will come back and ride with us again.
Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:53 PM
The JMVFC along with engines from Kingsville, Aberdeen Proving Ground and truck from Bel Air were alerted to a building fire at 102 Pulaski Highway. Engine 811 arrived with smoke showing from a 2 story commercial building. The fire, which was mostly on the exterior, was quickly knocked down. Truck 831 used the thermal imaging camera to check for any extension. The incident was scaled back to E811 & T831. The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office was requested due to the suspicious nature of the fire.
The Fire Marshal's report estimated the loss from the fire to be approximately $500. The report also indicated that a person or persons ignited the front door and broke the 2nd floor door window and attempted to pour an ignitable liquid inside. It was reported a silver mini-van was scene fleeing from the scene. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Northeast Regional Office at (410) 836-4844.
Site designed and maintained by